Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

My father has had a stroke, no insurance, no money and is 62

Customer Question

My father has had a stroke, no insurance, no money and is 62 yrs old. Can't find a place to help him.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.
Here he needs to apply for medicaid--you can as his representative.Most rehab long term care facilities have dually certified beds.He goes in on medicare and they switch him to medicaid.The hospital has to help you with discharge planning and medicaid planning.
Contact the Georgia Ombudsman Program.They help with placement,etc for nursing home and supervised living as well.They can help you find somewhere to place him..
Area Agency on Aging
Atlanta Regional Commission
Kathryn Lawler, AAA Director ***** NE
Atlanta, GA 30303
AgeWise Connection
Phone:(###) ###-####
Email:***@******.***
Henry County Senior Citizen Services:(###) ###-####
Atlanta Regional Commission: www.atlantaregional.com
Planning & Service Area
Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Rockdale
You can find help here, this is the local Ombudsman for this area..
I would also call APS here, he is alone and needs help, potential neglect if a placement is not found.Toll free here.
Call us toll-free: 1-866-55AGING (1-***-***-****) - Press “3”
Reports are accepted by phone Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Again they will help with medicaid and resources.
My only caveat is when you find a nursing home do not sign any payment guarantees.As long as you do not do that you are not liable for his debts.They are notorious for slipping these in a pile of papers.So read carefully when you get to that point.
Good luck with all of this.The more folks you can get involved the more likely that you get the help you need here.
I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Here is an example of dually certified medicare/medicaid beds..
http://www.yellowpages.com/mcdonough-ga/nursing-homes
This means he will not have to move once his 90 days or so of medicare rehab is done.
You can contact both the ombudsman and the APS people because he needs help and has no funds.They can locate a facility for him here.Do not despair.Thanks again.