Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

I was married in 1972 by proxy in webb county texas when i

Customer Question

i was married in 1972 by proxy in webb county texas when i was in veitnam my name is ***** ***** her name alice shaeffer
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.
Have you contacted the County Clerk yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I'm sorry, but I cannot make live calls. I can only communicate through this forum.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i need a copy and the law about proxy marggage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what was the law 1972 for proxy marggage in texas in military
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
getting married
Texas did allow proxy marriages in 1972. It wasn't until very recently that they were outlawed. As far as getting a copy of your marriage license, you need to contact the Webb County Clerk at(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i know that i was married by proxy so tell me the law did i need to be in a war zone like veitnam see in 1972 veitnam became a war that how she married me so if i got killed she would collect my benifits see
You don't need to cite a certain law. Either there is a marriage certificate or there is not. If there isn't, you can argue that you were common law married, which means that you lived together, held yourself out as married, and told other people you were a married couple.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i said i was married by proxy got it i need to know the law on proxy marriages in texas in 1972 being in the military during a war please answer this only got it
Sec. 2.006. ABSENT APPLICANT. (a) If an applicant is unable to appear personally before the county clerk to apply for a marriage license, any adult person or the other applicant may apply on behalf of the absent applicant.(b) The person applying on behalf of an absent applicant shall provide to the clerk:(1) notwithstanding Section 132.001, Civil Practice and Remedies Code, the notarized affidavit of the absent applicant as provided by this subchapter;(2) proof of the identity and age of the absent applicant under Section 2.005(b); and(3) if required because the absent applicant is a person under 18 years of age, documents establishing that a prior marriage has been dissolved, a court order authorizing the marriage of the absent, underage applicant, or documents establishing consent by a parent or a person who has legal authority to consent to the marriage, including:(A) proof of identity of the parent or person with legal authority to consent to the marriage under Section 2.005(b); and(B) proof that the parent or person has the legal authority to consent to the marriage for the applicant under rules adopted under Section 2.102(j).(c) Notwithstanding Subsection (a), the clerk may not issue a marriage license for which both applicants are absent unless the person applying on behalf of each absent applicant provides to the clerk an affidavit of the applicant declaring that the applicant is a member of the armed forces of the United States stationed in another country in support of combat or another military operation.
Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 7, Sec. 1, eff. April 17, 1997.Amended by: Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 947 (H.B. 858), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2005.Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 978 (H.B. 3666), Sec. 3, eff. September 1, 2009.Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 650 (H.B. 869), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2013.
Sec. 2.007. AFFIDAVIT OF ABSENT APPLICANT. The affidavit of an absent applicant must include:(1) the absent applicant's full name, including the maiden surname of a female applicant, address, date of birth, place of birth, including city, county, and state, citizenship, and social security number, if any;(2) a declaration that the absent applicant has not been divorced within the last 30 days;(3) a declaration that the absent applicant is:(A) not presently married; or(B) married to the other applicant and they wish to marry again;(4) a declaration that the other applicant is not presently married and is not related to the absent applicant as:(A) an ancestor or descendant, by blood or adoption;(B) a brother or sister, of the whole or half blood or by adoption;(C) a parent's brother or sister, of the whole or half blood or by adoption;(D) a son or daughter of a brother or sister, of the whole or half blood or by adoption;(E) a current or former stepchild or stepparent; or(F) a son or daughter of a parent's brother or sister, of the whole or half blood or by adoption;(5) a declaration that the absent applicant desires to marry and the name, age, and address of the person to whom the absent applicant desires to be married;(6) the approximate date on which the marriage is to occur;(7) the reason the absent applicant is unable to appear personally before the county clerk for the issuance of the license; and(8) the appointment of any adult, other than the other applicant, to act as proxy for the purpose of participating in the ceremony, if the absent applicant is:(A) a member of the armed forces of the United States stationed in another country in support of combat or another military operation; and(B) unable to attend the ceremony.
Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 7, Sec. 1, eff. April 17, 1997.Amended by: Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 268 (S.B. 6), Sec. 4.07, eff. September 1, 2005.Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 650 (H.B. 869), Sec. 2, eff. September 1, 2013.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in 1972 only in texas only by proxy only during the veitnam war only
The proxy marriage law did not just apply to Vietnam soliders.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in 1972 it did look at the law in texas which was the only state that excepted proxy marriages please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was married by proxy in 1972 the us gov is telling my i was not in veitnam but i have a vsm medal from my comamder at that time on my dd form 215 so now i get no benifits for my time in county what to do
I'm sorry, but I don't know what else to tell you. I've answered your question to the best of my ability.