LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I was pulled over after officer who was behind me ran my tags

Customer Question

I was pulled over after officer who was behind me ran my tags and discovered I did not have insurance coverage. Instead of just writing me a citation, he (without permission) took my purse and went through it and through my car. He found bath salts in my purse which a friend had just given me and thought he had a major criminal on his hands. I told him to smell it or taste it but he arrested me and I had to spend a night in jail without cause. I have a court date on June 8th, can you believe this? Is there anything I can do regarding this officer and the blatant misuse of his authority?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. When you say bath salts, you are talking about for actually putting in a bath tub, not the designer drug kind? Also, can you share with me the statute/code under which he did actually charge you? Was it just for insurance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes they were really bubble bath .... bath salts!!!! He pulled me over only due to running my license plate and discovering my insurance had lapsed.I do not use drugs. Possession of controlled substance and was held overnight. I have three little boys....it was horrible
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you receive my last comment?
I did and am in the process of responding. Please just allow me a few minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, I have a bad internet connection out here. Thank you.
Thank you for the additional information. It does sound as though there are issues here. First, the officer would need a basis to just take your pursue and look through it. Second, if the Officer did find something which looked suspicious, the item should have been tested, to determine if it was an illegal or controlled substance and not something which you are allowed to possess. In this case, if this was a clearly marked and labeled bottle or bag of bath salts, it really should not be raised any concern. Had they tested it on the spot or even at the station, you could have simply been released. If the officer failed to act properly and follow procedure, you can file a complaint with internal affairs and have the Officer investigated. Moreover, I can not see how the prosecutor does not drop the case, if they test this and see it was simply bath salts and nothing more. The misuse and abuse of authority is something that will need to be handled by the department upon your filing of the complaint and making them aware but may not result in being able to recover money damages, if those are sought.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!