Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My ex wife and I attended a settlement facilitation ordered

Customer Question

My ex wife and I attended a settlement facilitation ordered by the court to divide property. A few months later she filed for bankruptcy and included one of the bills that became mine during the facilitation. No the judge says I have to reaffirm the debt or pay her part of my vacation time that she waived in the previously mentioned facilitation. Does the judge have any legal grounds to force me to reaffirm a debt that I had agreed to pay but she included in her bankruptcy without my knowledge. Or can someone please point me to any statutes or case law that may cover this situation?
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Which judge made this order: bankruptcy or family court?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Family court Judge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He said I have to reaffirm the debt or pay her the value of my accrued vacation at the time of the divorce. He said it wasn't fair that I got out of having to pay the debt. He also said I had to pay part of her bankruptcy filing fees because she included the debt in the bankruptcy. Then he awarded her attorneys fees despite the fact that he is the one who set the court date after her attorney didn't show up for an evidentiary hearing.
I need to do a little research. The bankruptcy discharge releases your share of community property from obligation for the debt. But, it doesn't necessarily release you personally from the obligation. Maybe I can find some case law that will resolve the situation. This could take a while. I may not find something until tomorrow. The website will send you a message when I post an answer. Thanks in advance for your patience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help. I was going to ask for that through the extra services offer. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Legal Discussion by Email + Legal Research on Case Law, Codes, etc. + Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Well, if you want to take it off line we can do that. Just let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes sir, I think that would be better for me. Please email me at***@******.***
I look forward to providing further assistance.