CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

My mother is 81, born 1933. She is on a fixed income and d

Customer Question

My mother is 81, born 1933. She is on a fixed income and d her life insurance through Surity life has in creased to 169mo. She doesn't t have enough to afford this and I'm unable to help due to my financial expenses . What insurances are less than 100 month. And will bureal insurance cost less. She doesn't need to leave money behind. Just for her funeral and bureal . Her ins now is for 15,000. Please advise.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
It is likely that your mother can take advantage of much less expensive insurance costs. However, we cannot provide you with insurance quotes through this forum (we can answer general legal questions in a "Q&A" type forum).Your mother is probably going to be best served by an insurance broker (an independent broker can help her by shopping her policy to several different carriers and getting her the best rates from different carriers so she can pick the best one for her needs).You can help your mother with this by checking with the state department of insurance and ensuring the agent or broker you are working with is licensed and that there are no public complaints against them. You can also help by assisting them in reviewing the policies (a good broker will help them compare policies in a "side by side" so your mother (and you) can see what the benefits of each policy is against the bot***** *****ne costs. A broker should also be able to ensure that the policy is set up so that it will not affect her benefits under Medicaid if she ends up requiring long term medical care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Do all brokers cost? And I'd burial insurance cheaper Finally, how do I check his credibility and is the broker attached to a certain ins company?
Burial insurance is generally cheaper than life insurance. Most broker's will charge a fee (although this fee is usually made up for in the difference between what you pay for the insurance you buy through a broker and what you pay for insurance from a "captive broker" (one that works for the carrier directly)).You check with the state dept. of insurance (do a license check with the state on their website) first. Then you will want to check for general referrals/complaints on the internet (similar to checking for other businesses and professionals, one or two bad reviews isn't a problem, everyone has a few bad customer interactions, but if you see a pattern, you probably want to avoid them).