Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I owe NY sate tax...my driver's license is going to be suspended on Monday, June 1st

Customer Question

I owe NY sate tax...my driver's license is going to be suspended on Monday, June 1st. I just moved to CT....can I get a license in CT??? I spoke to an attorney over the phone and I also read oline that I could get a "restricted " license instead of my license being suspended but I am in outside sales and that would not work for me. I am going to the DMV tomrrow in CT. I changed my car insurance today,......
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, while you could get a CT license before NY suspends your license, once it is suspended that information would be entered into the interstate drivers license compact computer system and I am afraid that NY would have a hold on you receiving a license in any other state. Had you not known about the suspension happening Monday, because you need to answer the application truthfully, and the NY DMV had not yet entered it into their system on time, CT may issue the license, but as soon as it appears in their system they would revoke your license and accuse you of lying on the application.
So I am sorry to say you will need to deal with the NY issue to get the license reinstated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would not be lying on the CT application regarding that it coluld be suspended. .....maybe they will not give me a CT license or maybe they will issue a license?????? I I do not know but I no longer live in NY ......I can file Chapter 7 or an offer in compromise.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I answered YES to the ques. on the application as to "Is my license subject to suspension in CT or in any other state?" and put NY as the state so my answer is the truth so I will see what they say today at the D MV.
Thank you for your reply.
They will have to defer to NY, one state cannot issue a license if another state has suspended a person's license, regardless of the reason the other state suspended the license.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My license is NOT suspended yet....... will be on Monday so di you think ct will issue me a license today???
Thank you for your reply.
If you answered "yes" on the application they will check it and ask about it. Even if they do issue it today, once NY suspends it in NY then CT will have to then suspend your CT license even if they issued it to you.