Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I was hire recently and it was pending my backround check educaiton. My high school

Customer Question

I was hire recently and it was pending my backround check for my educaiton. My high school said i did not graduate but I did. I do not have my diploma because I moved and it has been lost. I do have my yearbook . I graduated over 30 years ago. my employer sent me a letter saying I must provide proof of graduating in 5 days or I may be let go. what can I do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can they fire me if i cannot provide my HS diploma. Also will i be able to collect unemployment . I have over 14 years experience in the field I was hired for . what do you suggest I do .
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If a high school diploma is a requirement for employment, then they could fire you for not having one. If you believed you had one and did not, then they could not prove you lied on your application and you would likely qualify for unemployment benefits.

However, as far as your diploma, you are going to have to go to the school directly, even though the state has no record and they are going to have to validate your graduation. If they cannot do so, then the only way to do so is filing suit in court against the school district and bringing in witnesses to prove that you did graduate.

This is a very hard situation, it is not an open and shut issue and you will need to get local attorney to represent you if you cannot get the school to agree to validate your graduation.