TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Apts made a mistake on lease terms, I applied months

Customer Question

Hi!
Apts made a mistake on lease terms, I applied for 11 months they put 12 months on my lease and have hounding me to resign at 11 months due to the price difference. I know wish to only sign the shortest least term possible which they offer 1-13 mo leases. They only want me to change the lease term from 12 to 11 however I would really like to change my term to 2-3 months? They offered a early lease buy out for $1200 due upfront plus 60 days worth of rent. Shoulnt I just be able to change the term since I must do so anyway?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also they are saying I am violating my lease for avoiding their request to resign the lease at 11 mo
and have given me 24 hours to respond to their request or I will receive a lease infraction. Is my lease valid even with the mistake? Would you advise me to resign or Is there a way to legally have it updated to a shorter lease term?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.
Since the lease states 12 months and was signed and delivered, that is how long each party (i.e., you and the landlord) are obligated under the lease. Accordingly, you don't have to sign anything to change the terms. The very fact that you're being asked to sign indicates their acknowledgment that the lease is currently for 12 months rather than 11 months. So, you could refuse to sign and stick it out for the 12 months.
The terms of the lease can only be changed if both parties agree. If you want 3 months and the landlord wants 11 months, and you two can't agree, then the 12 month lease stays. Neither you not the landlord is obligated to change the terms to something not wanted.
As for the supposed lease violation, that is absurd and makes no sense. How can they claim that the 12 month lease is invalid, and at the same time claim that the lease is violated? How can an invalid lease be violated? Also, where in the lease does it state that you must resign a new lease? Likely nowhere. Finally, based on the facts a that you shared, the lease is valid, and there is simply no obligation to sign a new lease.
Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok If I resign the lease at 11 months, and do and early lease buy out pay the fees, will it still show on my credit that I ended a lease early or effect my credit?