Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I got a ticket theft yesterday my child was with

Customer Question

i got a ticket for petty theft yesterday my child was with me and it was my first offense. my child did not see me take the product he had no idea what was going on till security grabbed me. i know i made a huge mistake and have been thinking about it all day! i offered to pay for the product and securtity denied me to do so! i explainded to my son what i had did and apologized to him i feel terrible about putting my child through this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im worried about my son being there can it be brought up in court even though i got a ticket only for theft?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what could I possibly charged with? I have a clean record as well
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
Yes, unfortunately, you can expect that when the charges are read out at your arraignment and a brief recitation of the facts are made, they will most likely mention that you had your son with you.
That said, in my opinion these facts you have related probably aren't serious enough to rise to the level of California's child endangerment laws, so I would not expect the DA to charge any other offenses along with the petty larceny. However, if the DA feels otherwise, yes, he can not only bring your son up in court, but he can charge you with PC 273(a), which is child endangerment, if your behavior placed him in a situation that caused him mental suffering, and, of course, with petty larceny.