Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Educator, Esq. you answered this question for

Customer Question

For Law Educator, Esq. Hello you answered this question for me and I have some followup questions: http://my.justanswer.com/question/index/f10dddc159d64441a19271ef624b65d0?continueTheConversation=False&comingFromAdservEmail=False&ratedThroughEmail=False&rating=0
My grandson was supposed to be sent to IEP but he hasn't been sent. I was told they would review the case and get back to me but they never did. I submit another request today for the case to be reviewed. In addition, I learned in court this morning that my
grandsons teacher has been emailing my son-in-law behind my back, even when I have full custody. Do I have a case to stand on if I were to take this to court?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your new question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
YES, the teacher actually may be in violation of the Federal Educational Records Privacy Act (FERPA) for communicating about the child to someone other than the legal guardian/custodian. If you have full custody, the teacher has no business communicating with anyone but you without your consent or court order. You need to consider filing a complaint with the state department of education regarding her violations.
Also, you would have a case for them not working to get him on an IEP based on his needs and you can contact the school board disability coordinator or you can get a local education law attorney and seek to take the school and the teacher to court over these violations.