Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

How do I cancel a pain managment contract

Customer Question

Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.
I am an attorney with 30 years of experience, including extensive experience in the regulation of health care practitioners. I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.
I need a bit more information regarding the nature of the contract. Can you attach the agreement so that I can review it?
If you can I will try to provide a responsive answer to you.
Thank you.
Kind regards,
Gerald
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was not given a copy of the agreement it was signed under duress while I was in great pain. It is a standard pain management "contract"
Hello:
Thank you for the follow up information.
Here is a link to a fairly standard Pain Management Agreement.
http://pmp.pharmacy.state.mn.us/assets/files/PDFs/Sample%20Pain%20Management%20Contract.pdf
Physicians are using these agreements primarily as a defensive mechanism in regard to potential investigations by the DEA and the State Licensing Boards. There has been a step up reporting of physicians who "over prescribe." As a result the physicians want to make it clear that they are carefully managing the prescription of opioids in particular.
These agreements are not truly binding in the sense that they are not reviewed by the courts. They are intended to keep the patient and physician on the "same page" in regard to treatment protocols.
If your treatment is not meeting your needs, the physician should be amenable to making changes to the protocols. If your physician is not willing to do that you are certainly free to seek out other care providers.
I understand that may be easier said than done. So your first course of action is to meet with your physician and go over you needs in detail.
This article may be useful to you:
http://www.drugfree.org/join-together/opioid-pain-contracts-can-damage-patient-trust-bioethics-panel-says/
I hope the information I have provided is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.
Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.
If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.
Good luck.
Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.