Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

The high school coach of my son's basketball team is physically

Customer Question

The high school coach of my son's basketball team is physically and verbally abusive. He regularly uses humiliation tactics against the boys on the team. He spits in their faces. In one instance he made a player run barefoot for 5 miles because he left his shoes in his locker (on campus). The player's feet started to blister and her cut the blisters off with scissors and sent the child home on the public bus without notifying his parents. When the child got home he was in excruiating pain and had to go to the emergency room and was treated the way they treat burn victims.
The parents on the team have repeatedly met with the principal and the Athletic Dean. They have not removed the coach from his position. Many students have come forward and they all tell similar stories. The administration is choosing to ignore this problem. What legal action can I take?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
My God. What century is that guy living in? Surely, the school board of your city has adopted rules and regulations concerning physically abusive punishment of students. If you go to the school principal, as I'm sure you have, and no disciplinary action is taken against coach, then your next step is to the school board president and the local newspapers. The parents can sue the school board , the city and the coach if they wish, but without significant permanent injury. The chances of recovering any significant amount of money are pretty slim. Also, their boy will be out of college, before the cases is resolved.