Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I have a deed in where I am 80% owner and a person who was supposed to build me a cabin

Customer Question

I have a deed in ky where I am 80% owner and a person who was supposed to build me a cabin is assigned the remaining 20% for the completed job, which he did not finish, but abandoned the job and the property. I am wondering how I can get the 20% out of his name back to mine. He has vanished.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.
You will have to file a suit to quiet title.This is a suit where you ask the court to award you clear complete title.The court should do so because the other party did not live up to the oral contract.You will need a lawyer to file suit.
Whenever in Kentucky there is a situation like this where the other party had a partial interest you have to file such a suit to quiet title seeking to have the court award you clear title to the entire property.
Law for reference.
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/statute.aspx?id=17768
Lawyer referral for real estate lawyer--put in your city..
http://www.avvo.com/real-estate-lawyer/ky/louisville.html
Here you can move to claim quiet title based on your facts and seek to have complete title awarded to yourself.
I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.