Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I was incarcerated in Louisiana and at that time had three

Customer Question

I was incarcerated in Louisiana and at that time had three cars registered in my name .of course during my incarnation my insurance lapsed ..when I gat out of jail and went to get my drivers license renewed I was informed I had flags on it be a use I didn't (couldn't) turn the plates in ...now shouldn't a letter of incarceration be enough to show DMV that I couldn't turn the plates in and I wasn't driving the cars.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, the LA law says that all registered vehicles must have insurance maintained on them as long as they are registered. The LA DMV can waive the hold on your license based on your incarceration, but you will have to file an appeal and go before an administrative hearing officer to have them waive the hold and license reinstatement fees for the license suspension. The letter or documentation proving your incarceration would be sufficient to prove you were not able to keep the insurance and the cars were not used based on the incarceration. In most cases like this the hearing officers will order reinstatement.