CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I have a natural gas master meter on my property which

Customer Question

hi. i have a natural gas master meter on my property which feeds 2 services that i pay for. there is also a 3rd line that goes south that was not used for 7-8 years. in 2013 a irrigation cusromer wanted hooked up so source gas in nebr. hooked them up. they never notified me that the line was activated -had absolutly no clue. now we get a $10,000 bill because of a gas leak. i refused to pay so they disconnected the master meter which in turn disconnected our house service. no hot water- my wife and i are in our 60s. any advise?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
File a dispute with the gas company in writing. Ultimately this is going to come down to an issue of who is responsible for authorizing the hook up of this third gas line (and who is liable for this charge), but currently the gas company is entitled to utilize their rights in cutting off service pending a resolution.A formal dispute should at a minimum allow them to turn service back on to your residence pending the outcome of the dispute resolution.Contact your County's senior services for assistance if the gas company is unwilling to assist you directly - they can help by providing emergency connection services (they will not assist in the legal dispute over the authorization for this 3rd line hook up, but they should be able to assist in getting you back online in the meantime).