Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Have a Girlfriend that I was living with 6 years

Customer Question

Have a Girlfriend that I was living with for over 6 years in my house never married now in the relationship is over I want her to leave the house she don't want to go anywhere . what can I do legally I own the house I own everything is in my name she has not in her name
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this situation. She is what is known as a tenant at sufferance. A tenant at will is someone who has no right to occupy the premises, but is tolerated by the owner and may be terminated at the will of the owner.
A tenant at sufferance has few rights, but one of these rights is to be evicted. So in other words, one cannot simply physically kick her out of the home. She must be evicted like a tenant who has not paid rent. If after the quick eviction hearing she still does not leave, then, one can get a Writ and have the authorities forcibly relocate her.
However, many tenants at will simply LEAVE once they are given notice that they will be evicted if they do not, since they have really no defense to an eviction.
So here, you may:
1) Give her notice to leave and if she does not;
2) Evict her as though you would a tenant; and
3) Have the authorities remove her by force if she still does not leave; and
4) Change the locks.
Again, the majority of tenants at will shall leave upon notice, or shortly after an eviction is filed.
How much notice is necessary for tenants at sufferance is unclear in NJ, but 10 days is a good rule of thumb.
Let me know if you need a sample of such a letter.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.