ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Upon entering a grocery store, the automatic door closed on

Customer Question

Upon entering a grocery store, the automatic door closed on my 4 year old. The door lacks the proper sensors to reopen when hitting someone. I am angry and my child was very scared. The manager shrugged it Off. What can I do about this?
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Was your child injured in when this happened, or just scared?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mild injury but mostly scared. Her arm had a red mark, but not serious. I would expect the manager to at least write up an incident report.
Thank you. I would too, and I would certainly report this to a district office / manager or even corporate headquarters. Often they don't write up incidents to show that they haven't HAD incidents in the first place. Reporting an incident to corporate might reflect more poorly on the manager as they would learn that he didn't write up something that he should have.
Take pictures (if you have not) of your child's injury so that you can show the corporate office what has happened.
As far as legal recourse goes, there's probably nothing that you can get because the injuries are "de minimis" (minimal and to such a small extent that the costs of litigation would exceed anything that you could get). Unfortunately the law is generally "restitutionary" in nature, meaning that if something truly horrific were to happen (and thankfully it did not) the law would compensate the injured party for the negligence of the company. But there's nothing that can be done to compel them to act (again, generally speaking).
There's a narrow, outside chance that a local city or county ordnance has been violated (such as a fire code) and I would suggest contacting the local code inspector to see if there is such a code. But this is the exception rather than the rule, and the best way to potentially see improvement would be to contact the corporate office of the grocery store to complain and let them know about this incident.
Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Thank you.
My pleasure. If there's nothing else, please rate this question as it closes it out and allows me to assist other customers that have been waiting for an answer. . Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!
Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)