Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I was fired from a local retailer, after the discovery of unpaid

Customer Question

I was fired from a local retailer, after the discovery of unpaid for merchandise was found in a package of items that I had legitimately purchase. I was unable to explain how the items got their since my purchase had been made early in the day and the bag left behind the sales counter. the items in questions were discovered during a routine pack check that all employees go through. Except that I had had a verbal altercation with two fellow employees just prior to leaving that evening, I could not explain how the seperately bagged items (found in side of my original bag) go there. I was not arrested, but simply told that their would be a two day suspension, while HR did an investigation. the HR investigation was completed and I was terminated, via a phone call. I have now received a letter demanding $200- under Florida Statute 772.11. Can I legitimate fight this claim and demand for payment?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Has the employer filed any criminal charges for the alleged theft?
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not to my knowledge
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, this is what is called a "civil demand letter" and allows a merchant to essentially fine someone personally without going through the court system for a shoplifting offense.
.
You can ignore it, and see if they sued you and then filed a criminal charge, which they have a year to do, if you wanted to risk it.
.
But considering the facts and how it looks bad even if you are innocent, paying the $200 to get this over with and avoiding a criminal charge on your record would be worth it if it were me.
.
.
thanks