Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Can I be sued of the medical bills of a d and c from

Customer Question

Can I be sued for half of the medical bills of a d and c from the mother?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
From a purely legal perspective, this would be a medical procedure that the woman underwent for her own treatment after a miscarriage. So unless you agreed to bear the cost of half the treatment, then you wouldn't be liable for it.
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What kind of agreement?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
If you had something in writing it would be binding. If you had an oral agreement it can be legally binding if there is an offer (i.e. I will pay for half) an acceptance (i.e. ok, I agree to you paying half) and performance (i.e. the woman actually has the procedure done in reliance on your promise).
.
However if you refused, she would have to sue you for the costs and prove that there was actually an agreement in place, which you could dispute, and then it would be up to a judge to determine whose testimony was more credible.
.
.
thanks