LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I recently fired an attorney and want to know what documents

Customer Question

I recently fired an attorney and want to know what documents pertaining to my account the former attorney is required to turn over and what fees, if any, they are legally allowed to charge to do so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. As the client, you are allowed to request a copy of your file and the attorney can charge you a fee to make the copies. The original belongs to the attorney/firm and is their work product, so they would not have to turn over the original but they can not simply withhold your case file, since you have paid for the work and are entitled and need it, to proceed with the case. However, if YOU provided them any original documents, those need to be returned to you since they belong to you. The actual fee charged should not be anything more then a reasonable fee to copy the file.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.