Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

1.Will the dollar amount of my social security benefit be reduced if my former spouse(19yr

Customer Question

1.Will the dollar amount of my social security benefit be reduced if my former spouse(19yrs)collect a spousal benifit based on MY work history.
2. If former spouse is collecting social security disability ( starting prior to her FRA, she was born in 1948) and it exceeds 1/2 of what she in entitled to based on MY work record. Is she still entitled to a spousal benefit based on my work record?
3.What if she is collecting 100% disability from the Veterans Administration?
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will ne the expert helping you today.
Let's go through these.
No it has no effect here at all on your benefits.
No it is an election here she takes the one with higher amount.She only gets one check.
Again she can only get one check from Social Security, the VA is totally separate.
Social Security would calculate to see if the half benefit is more and she gets the either of the two.She only gets one check either the half or her disability from them.
I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.