P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

My husband needs to go to rehab but refuses help says that

Customer Question

My husband needs to go to rehab but refuses help says that he is fine . hes loosing his family's business that has been around for 66 years- had the pol8police called on him several times for his bizzare behavior- arrested twice- two 72 hour holds. & question is how would I go about being able to force him into an inpatient program? Like have him committed . please help, even if he hates me for it i can't just sit around & do nothing.
Thank you ,
Kerensa leclair
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
I am truly sorry for this condition...tell me, is this a medical issue? Has he been diagnosed with dementia?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hes using meth. When he gets out of jail or ward B hes fine until hes alone & then it just gets worse & worse. He asked me for my eye ball once... He can get very violent... Its a meth induced psychosis- but the docs said hes nowshowing signs of schizophrenia- hes never been to rehab in his life - i really think it would fix everything..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He thinks in out to get him steal his business , but I only have his best interest at heart. I just need to be pointedin the right direction.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
This is a tough one. Generally speaking the court will not institutionalize for addiction. The reason is that it is not a true mental health illness.
You could have a local attorney file a request to the court and declare him incompetent (so he becomes a ward of the court) but typically the court will not due this for addiction. Still, may be worth a try.
The other option is to report the criminal misconduct to police and ask the arrest...though this can have severe collateral consequences.
So perhaps having a local attorney file a motion with the court to declare him incompetent is the best choice you have.
This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that the court will commit him when you ask , but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.