Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Can I get disability social security, if I am NOT working

Customer Question

Hello;
can I get disability social security, if I am NOT working ? I am retired ,but disabled.
Thank you
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.
Yes, but generally you need 40 quarters of work credits (that just means you worked for 40 periods of three months each), 20 of which were earned in the 10 years ending with the year you become disabled. So you could be not working at the time you apply for an are awarded disability but you must have worked fairly recently.
A full explanation of what is meant by work credits can be found on the SSA website at http://www.ssa.gov/planners/credits.html and the pages linked to from there.
If your question has been answered completely then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I’d suggest Excellent!) so I receive credit for my work.
Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SO, if i retired over 10 ys ago, I can not get it ? Thank you .
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
I think ten years ago would mean you are excluded. You may want to apply and have them tell you that you are excluded, I'm sure you are since you can't meet the 20 quarters in the last ten years, but it doesn't hurt to apply anyway.