Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Capital one got a wage garnishment on me on a debt I owed.

Customer Question

Capital one got a wage garnishment on me on a debt I owed. I paid the wage garnishment off in full, early in fact. Now I get a call from them that they want additional $900 in fees from me and are threatening garnishment again. Can they do this? I thought once I paid off the judgement I would be done with them. I'm in California by the way just in case that matters
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:
Do you have a copy of the judgment against you? If so, does the order permit them to add additional fees to the judgment?
I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought all fees and interest were included in the judgement and wage garishment
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
I see.
Normally, the wage garnishment will include the entire amount set out in the judgment. But sometimes a judgment can include other costs and interest which may accrued on a post-judgment basis and would be unknown at the time the original garnishment is obtained.
Therefore, it would be necessary to review the court's order to determine whether the fees they are charging you were included in the judgment or not.
If they are not, then they would not typically be able to garnish your wages against for the same debt.
I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!