Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I visited Italy in 2013 and received via mail 1 year

Customer Question

Hello,I visited Italy in 2013 and received via mail 1 year later a driving violation that supposedly occurred while in Italy. Per the letter the violation was observed via a traffic camera. They have provide no proof of the violation. They letter also said they had gotten my name and address via the rental car company. I am concerned that this is a scam as the letter about the violation was post marked from Belgium and the payment was to be made via bank transfer.Since the violations occurred in Italy and there is no proof has been provided. What are the legal issues of paying this violation?Thank you,Kevin Hays
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.I suggest this is Not a scam. And that you consider contacting the rental car agency and see if this appears on your file. If it does and you do not pay the ticket, the rental agency can file for a judgment and attach interest plus attorney fees. You would be notified the judgment is filed, but you also would be hindered in renting vehicles until paid in full
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
And the balance will be accumulating interest.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this has been turned over to a collection company. the rental car company has told me not to pay
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Thank you
Then they can file a lawsuit against you in Nebraska and you would be notified of the hearing date and you can show cause as to why you did not incur the ticket.
If you do not appear at the hearing, then they will get a default judgment and your wages, IRS returns can be garnished.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dont they have to show proof of the violation?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
They would need to show a tag number and proof that you are the person who rented the car.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
But you don't know what they have - only what they sent you. So you can tell them you want the photo of the car you were driving and any other evidence they have
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
However, I still suggest that if they sue and you get notification of a hearing date, you consider not missing it.