Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

This seems silly but it sparked my interest on my rights!My

Customer Question

This seems silly but it sparked my interest on my rights!My daughter graduates highschool at sleep train arena at 330pm on the 28th! She has also advanced in track and has made it to the master trials which is held on the same day! Her event luckily is at 6pm. In order to make that we need to leave early from the graduation! The school administration told my daughter she can not leave early and that the security for sleep train will not open the doors for anyone to leave early?!! Is this legal!?
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
I am going to assume that she is not 18 yet. REPLY and let me know if she is.
Technically, no, they cannot do this.
Even though this is a school event and the school controls the students in a school event, a parent should have the right to take their child out early. So as such, they cannot hold her back.
Now, the parent has to coordinate this with the school AHEAD of time, and, the school may DENY her ceremony privilege if she does not stay for the whole thing. However, they cannot "keep" her there if a parent has requested her.
Also, the school cannot block, barricade, lock, or otherwise restrict any exit at the ceremony regardless, due safety regulations.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.