LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

When I filed a complaint in federal court in California, I

Customer Question

When I filed a complaint in federal court in California, I did not file or receive a signed summons to serve the parties. Now I need to get a clerk signed summons to serve. How do I do that?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
You will need to drafty a Summons for Submission to the Court Clerk and have the clerk issue you the summons so you can arrange to have the defendant served.
Here is a link the Summons Form, as well as to the Proof of Service that will need to be filled out by the person serving your Complaint: http://www.uscourts.gov/forms/notice-lawsuit-summons-subpoena/summons-civil-action
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I do this electronically or do I need to file in person? If electronically is acceptable, how long does it take to receive the summons back?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
You can mail the Summons in with an SASE to be returned to you (be sure to make copies as well) or you can hand deliver the document to the clerk’s office.
Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.
If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.
I wish you well,
Doug