How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalKnowledge Your Own Question
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 26336
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalKnowledge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was in an auto accident in which I was at fault, long story

Customer Question

I was in an auto accident in which I was at fault, long story short my insurance wasn't enough to cover the entire damage for the other person's car. Her ins co (Travelers) took my ins amount and paid the difference. I never saw a bill for the damages. I get a call from them asking to set up a payment plan for the difference from me. I then asked for the breakdown of damage costs that were paid out, they were emailed to me.
1. Do I have to pay this
2. If I do not, does it negatively affect my credit since this is not an expense I accrued?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The other driver is entitled to be made whole. As such, if your insurance only paid X and Y is still owed, you would be responsible to pay, if you were at fault in the accident. The decision to only have a specific amount of coverage, is at your discretion but when a claim is for more then that, you would be liable to pay. Now, if you do not pay, then they will likely file suit and try and get a judgment against you. If they do and it is not paid, then it would be sent to collections and they may also try and go after wages or assets. Moreover, since this is related to an auto accident, they may try and suspend your license as well. You can certainly try and settle with them, seeing if they would agree to accept less but if you were at fault, it would need to be paid, since the other driver, who was not at fault, should not have to incur any costs.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!