Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

D oes my partner have a right to hold my personal tools in

Customer Question

D
oes my partner have a right to hold my personal tools in our shop.we are not legally separate . my name is ***** ***** lease and on business license .I only sign a paper that that say disagreement. Also what do I have to do? I called police, they can't do anything only be there.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
No one has a right to withhold any one else's property without a court order.
I suggest, you can have the police accompany you as a "stand by" while you go to retrieve your property.
If you do not want to do that, you can bring the matter to court and depending on the value of the property, you may be able to file in Small Claims court for the value of the tools. You can file in small claims court on your own, without the help of a local attorney.
I suggest, that you first have the police go with you to get the tools and if that does not work, take him to court.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He says he going to sue me thats why won't give it to me.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Even if he is going to sue you, he cannot hold your property until the court rules in his favor.
So you should consider going to get it.