CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I was driving in a busy area with 2 lanes of traffic,

Customer Question

I was driving in a busy area with 2 lanes of traffic, when a driver in front decided to pull in to my lane without indicating with the end result of my car causing more damage to his. We agreed to not take it to the insurers and now he is threatening to go to mine. What are my options seeing as I don't know whether I can sue for the little damage that was done to my car? Thank you
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer, unfortunately, your real remedy here is to inform your insurance agent and hope they are willing to pick up the claim (you didn't wait too long).California actually has a law that all drivers must report accidents that they were involved in causing over $750.00 in damage (see: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/forms/sr/sr1), so you are also going to be behind the deadline on this as well.You are probably not going to be in trouble for reporting this accident late, but you probably need to at least consider taking care of it at this time (the other driver has the same considerations - with him being at a minimum partially at fault (you were the rear driver, but he did cross into your lane), I don't know why he is threatening you other than to try to "shake you down").You can "call his bluff" or call your insurance agent.