Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Couple married 50yr getting divorced. She left him 7yr ago

Customer Question

Couple married 50yr getting divorced. She left him 7yr ago to study her religion. He continued to provide her support. Now divorcing. He wants to split EVERYTHING 50/50, but she wants her 50% plus he buys her a car, pays car insurance, pays her legal fees, pays $2200.00 monthly alimony fees. How can more than 50% be fair?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her lawyer repeatedly gets court dates rescheduled. How can this man get this divorce expedited?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
It is certainly likely that all marital property and assets will be split 50/50. However, it is unlikely that a court would make him purchase her a vehicle or put himself in the poor house to keep her up.
As for alimony, it is need-based, which means that the court does not give it to anyone automatically. Instead, the court will only award alimony if there is proof that the requesting spouse needs it to survive/maintain her current obligations. Thus, if there is proof that the spouse needs funds, the court can then look at whether or not the other spouse can afford to pay. If there is proof that the requesting spouse needs the money, and that the other spouse can afford to pay, it could be possible for alimony to be ordered.
As for expediting the case , there's no sure fire way to do so....instead, he would just have to try and keep the heat on the other side and his lawyer to get this matter resolved as soon as possible.