WALLSTREETFIGHTER
WALLSTREETFIGHTER, Attorney
Experience:  14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney
16356563

I live in NJ and am a general dentist by profession. I am taking

Customer Question

I live in NJ and am a general dentist by profession. I am taking indefinite personal time off from work for a very important matter. In the meantime, a dental company in need of a dentist ASAP has contacted me to work for them. They are very eager to hire me; I have told them that I cannot make any decisions/commit to work till the end of July(I am unsure how my matters will be by then- it's possible I may not be ready to go back to work even then). This company sent me a contract today and wants me to sign it by June 1 - it says in the contract to start July 30th or later. They are also sending insurance credentialing paperwork. I'm unsure what to do. I cannot predict when I will be ready to work; can only estimate. At the same time, I don't want to lose this opportunity if and when I am ready. I won't know definites in my affairs till the end of July.
My question is - can I sign the contract and credentialing papers now and if things dont work out that I can work for them at the end of July without getting into trouble for signing the contract? Employment is at will in the state of NJ is what a friend of mine says- I just don't like signing things when I'm not ready and don't know when I will be. This company is aggressively chasing me because they really need to fill this position. What should I do?
Expert:  WALLSTREETFIGHTER replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
My name is***** am a Licensed practicing attorney and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
NJ is an at will State, however once you sign a contract it can be used against you, especially if the employer claims they suffered damages by you not honoring the start date.
You may want to add some clauses in the contract to avoid such a situation, you can add language which states, "in the event that employee is not able to start on the date, they will not be held liable for any liquidate or other damages the employee may have incurred"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response!
Good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.
If satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you