dylatess
dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years representing clients with their legal issues
29685164

Don't understand Medacare subornation of a settlement. It

Customer Question

Don't understand Medacare subornation of a settlement. It was way more than hospital bill paid by Medicare Advantra. As our lawyer took his fee first he added to the cost of medicare. and wife got what was left. Never saw a copy of any checks to Medicare
or lien from medical I lawyer would have paid Medicare first my wife would have got at last $10000 more.Might have something to do with future payments by Medicare ,but I estimate that could easily be a million dollars. Settlement was for $167000, legal fees
were over $67000 , Medicare was over 25%, and wife got rest. Bill paid to hospital was about $21000 of which $18000 was forgiven to Medicare Advantage.
Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.
Medicare had placed a lien for reimbursement from the settlement. Likewise, when you have an attorney, the law allows him to negotiate down the lien by reducing it by at least one third. further, Medicare under no circumstances can recover more than one half of what your total wife's settlement was. So it sounds like your attonrey did a good job.
I WISH YOU WELL. FOR CUSTOMER QUALITY CONTROL, PLEASE BE SO KIND AS TO RATE MY ANSWER BY CLICKING THREE OR MORE STARS OR SMILES. ANSWERS ARE FOR INFORMATION ONLY AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP IS FORMED OR IMPLIED.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How does Medicare take so much, more than double of what they gave towards hospital bill. Hospital bill was total $89934, and hospital settleled for $88004. Don't understand, SUPERPAY Adjustment of $77,222 and SUPERPAY Payment of $10181. Not a good lawyer, as payment taken from settlement was over $21000. Not a good lawyer because he took his fee before paying Medicare, costing my wife over $10000. Not a good lawyer because we never met him, he never offered to discuss settlement with wife and never offered us a chance to a jury trial. Not a good lawyer because he took advantage of sick 68 year women who will be on dialysis for the rest of her life.Because he only grabbed all his money and did nothing I can see to benefit women who sufferes medically and mentally.