Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Can a Pharmisist, deny filling a legal script even after they

Customer Question

Can a Pharmisist, deny filling a legal script even after they verified the script with the doctor?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.
There is nothing in the law that requires or mandates that a pharmacist fill any particular prescription. They are free, under the law, to refuse to perform services for a customer so long as the reason for that refusal isn't race, age, gender, etc.
However, there could be an ethical issue involved in refusing to fill a prescription. That is completely different than a legal issue and would need to be addressed through the licensing agency for pharmacists in Illinois. You can find the online complaint form at https://www.idfpr.com/Admin/Filing/DPR/Complaint.asp
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** not filling or even filling a narcotic script early, but this is an anti depressant for my mother that she needs badly. Thank you for your help. Have a nice day.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome and I do wish you and your family the best.
We are getting a lot of similar questions lately, I'm not sure why this has suddenly become an issue with pharmacists.
Best wishes to you and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I’d suggest Excellent!) so I receive credit for my work