Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My niece, 18 yrs, married whose husband is 17 yrs, has a 5-month

Customer Question

My niece, 18 yrs, married whose husband is 17 yrs, has a 5-month old baby boy. The marriage is going to the rocks, both the mother-in-law and my niece are the cause as their relationship are bad. Her husband often beat her up when he looses his temper. The father-in-law, mother-in-law and her husband are forcing her to leave the matrimonial home (they are staying with the father-in-law in a HDB flat) and seek accommodation with my niece's parents (not possible as they have parted ways) and friends who cannot help. They will look after the baby and she has to fend for herself outside of the matrimonial home without any allowance or maintenance. If this happens she will be the one suffering and the husband and her in-laws will have no responsibility whatsoever for her welfare. She is at a lost, do not know what to do and felt that there is no future for her. I think she also has maternity blue on and off. I told her not to leave the matrimonial home until she sought advice. She requires legal aid and advice. I will be happy to accompany her to visit Legal Aid Bureau.
Kong Hong Show (Mr.)
NRIC S0933964G
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Kong Hong Show (Mr.)

Response: It would be illegal for them to force her out. She should stay where she is until her in-laws obtain a Court Order to evict here. Also, she cannot be kicked out with no spousal support. In addition, they cannot just take the kid and kick her out. The kid needs both of his parents.
She would need to contact legal services in her area to see which one would be able to take her case. You can start by going to this web site:
http://www.lawhelp.org/
Regrettably, we do not offer legal representation here.
Best wishes,