How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to find a right lawyer who will help me in financial

Customer Question

I am trying to find a right lawyer who will help me in financial fraud case. I used to live with my fiancé who with no my permission scammed signatures to take loans on my name with no my permission. I broke up with him, moved out of state, luckily with police report and affidavit much was taken of my credit, although there was a court date, which I was not aware of and a garnishment judgment was made. I live in CA, the court judgment was made in IL. Also, there is still 10, 000 loan in bank of america pending on my name. I need someone to help investigate so i prove it was not me.
Maybe a fraud investigator or a lawyer in IL?
And what is the suggestion to solve it when its out of state?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
You need a civil litigation attorney (and you need one as soon as possible, the timeline to set aside a default judgment is very short, even when it is due to fraud you need to move quickly). You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).Based on the fact pattern you present, this should be a fairly straightforward issue for an attorney to represent you in, but you will want someone to represent you in Illinois (look for someone in the county where the court case is lodged).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you! What about a Bank of America case? I sent BoA a police report copy and affidavit, although their own investigator department rejected my fraud claim based that the accounts were opened when I lived with him, so in their believe I was just a partner in crime. I ask them for how the account was opened details, but they do not provide me. Or, at least I would have a summary of what purchases was made with that money.
What is my next step? Is it getting an investigator first?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
I would recommend hiring an attorney here (if at all possible).If that is not possible, start with a "debt verification" demand: then if decide to continue, you will need to decide whether or not you are willing to force the issue to civil court. At that point you will have the full compliment of civil discovery tools available (demands for document production, interrogatories, depositions, requests for admission), as well as the burdens of proof (the bank would have the burden in a civil proceeding to prove the debt).Generally at the outset it is more cost effective to hire counsel early in order to resolve disputes rather than wait, but I do understand that legal services are not cheap, and that it is an additional insult being forced to pay for legal services to extricate yourself from this matter where you were the victim, but if it is at all possible, I would recommend at least looking into it.