CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

My husband owns a Servpro franchise and sometimes people we

Customer Question

My husband owns a Servpro franchise and sometimes people we do work for customers who decide they do not have to pay. In some cases their insurance pays them direct and they are suppose to pay us out of that money and they do not. What are some legal steps we can take to get paid?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
If your initial collection efforts don't work (phone calls, letters, etc.), your ultimate remedy is to file suit (usually in small claims court) for breach of contract.If his business is an LLC or a Corp., it will require a lawyer to represent the business (these entities cannot represent themselves "pro per" in court), but if you draft your contracts with an "attorney's fees" clause or a "prevailing party's" clause it will allow you to collect these fees in addition to the unpaid fees (you can also include interest and collection costs in these contracts).