Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My daughter was with someone who shop lifted. My daughter

Customer Question

My daughter was with someone who shop lifted. My daughter did not know she was doing so. When they left the store the manager and a security guard asked them to come back. They questioned them and found the friend took some bracelets. They are not accusing my daughter of anything. They being the police and the store manager. The store manager says she is welcomed back. But the security guard took her picture and questioned her and the friend when parents were not there. Then told my daughter she is banned from the shopping mall for a year. She asked if she was with us can she come to restaurants as we do there often. He said no she would be arrested for trespassing. Is this legal for him to do?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
No, the security guard has no authority to override the decision of the store manager or the police who say that there is no prohibition from her coming back to the store.
.
The store security is simply trying to bully them without any legal authority to do so.
.
.
thanks