Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I am 39 years old, applying Gaming License in the State

Customer Question

I am 39 years old, applying for my Gaming License in the State of Nevada. I have 2 sealed records when I was 18 in NYS. Will the GCB know about and/or unseal these records? DO I need to tell them about these unsealed?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question. I am a New York State criminal lawyer.
What were the sealed offenses and how were they sealed? That is, did you get Youthful offnder treatment, plead to a violation, took an ACD, etc?
What does the application for the Gaming license ask you specifically in terms of your prior offenses?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 was for a youthful offender and the second one was for ACD
The question on the application is "do you have any sealed records"? I had to sign a waiver forfeiting my constitutional rights for the background check and I was wondering can the Gaming Control Board in Nevada unseal records?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
You're applying for a government license, and the government can see what other people performing checks cannot.
Both YO dispositions and ACDs are not considered criminal convictions and are very deeply sealed. They can be accessed with a court order, but they are not given up casually.
Yes, they can try to look at the sealed records, and yes, you would have to disclose their existence.