Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

To let you know we are talking about protected information that pertains to a terminal con

Customer Question

to let you know we are talking about protected information that pertains to a terminal condition covered under hipaa
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
Because, as I said in the first place, police are not a covered entity under HIPAA. Covered Entities are health care providers an health insurance plans. Police don't come under the act any more than, say, I do if I wanted to mention somebody's health condition to anyone else.
If you're working for HIPAA, of course you must keep what you find confidential. But that has nothing to do with the Act itself. Only covered entities have to comply with HIPAA.
http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/coveredentities/index.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even though the law was expanded that states everyone is a covered entity now. Which is why collectors can not even disclose health care information now without patient consent in writing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for example this sites states that my protected health information can only be shared with people I allow. I have to authorize it to allow the access
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Unless you can show me a new definition of Covered Entities under the HIPAA Act, I stand completely behind my answer.
I don't know what you're referring to as "this site states that. . ." what site is that?