Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Is there a legal answer on security to customer ratio in a

Customer Question

Is there a legal answer on security to customer ratio in a bar? What is considered sufficient or insufficient?I get sued at least once a year always making the insufficient security claim after they get in a fight. (usually that they started) I have never
lost a case because I am overcautious when staffing. My bar is in Tennessee by the way. Also, Is there a legal answer for how much force is allowed to nuetralize a threat? Noone can ever give a straight answer on that, not even the police dept.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.There is no specific statute that addresses this in the TN code. However, the "rule of thumb" for most security companies is one for every 75 to 100 patrons. This is something you could discuss with your local elected official to your state's General Assembly and see if some sort of proposal can be made to address how many should be hired per patron. As to the neutralizing of a threat, there should not be "excessive" Force upon a patron by Security personnel.The term excessive force is not precisely defined; however, the use of force greater than that which a reasonable and prudent is generally considered to be excessive. In most cases, the minimum amount force required to achieve a safe and effective outcome during law enforcement procedures is recommended. Please remember I can only provide an informational answer on what you ask. If you have other questions or need clarification in this regard, please let me know.Otherwise, I would appreciate a positive rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information. Thank you