Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

I strongly believe a local police officer is being granted

Customer Question

I strongly believe a local police officer is being granted access to my medical records and relaying this information back to my wife.. how can I find out if he's using a warrant or supeona to do this..
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to Answer your question,
There are only two (2) ways that a Subpoena or a Warrant will be issued and I have listed these instances below -
1. A Subpoena will be issued ONLY if there is a lawsuit pending in Court and the Subpoena must be signed by the Judge or by an Attorney who is an Officer of the Court. A Subpoena is used only in two ways-
A. It is served on someone who wants that individual to come into Court and give testimony under Oath in a lawsuit being tried in Court;
B. A Subpoena will also be served on a party to bring certain documents into Court because the documents contain information which the opposing party needs in order to prove his case.
2. A Warrant is only issued if someone is to be arrested and the Warrant must be signed by a Judge or a Magisterial District Judge. A Warrant cannot be issued for the release of any information, it is to take someone into police custody by arresting that person.
A Warrant does not have the power to command the release of any information, and as I said, it is used solely for the purpose of taking an individual into - it is used solely to take an individual into police custody by an arrest.
A police officer does not have the power or the authority to compel anyone to release information. A doctor, or medical office certainly would not release any confidential patient information, even with a Court Order because it would be a violation of their Hippocratic Oath and they would lose their License to practice medicine.
I sincerely ***** ***** you have nothing to worry about and your medical records and medical information are not being released to anyone.
_____________________________________________________________
Please be kind enough to leave a rating of "Excellent Service" so that I will receive credit for Answering your question,
Kindest Regards,
ANDREA