Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Here we go again... Form submits itself prior to completion.

Customer Question

I owe a hospital $800.00 from a prior admission. I asked for itemized breakdown of costs and pointed out my excellent coverage usually covers most costs and wanted to see what these costs are for. I received no answer and the hospital sicked a collection agency on me.
Two weeks ago the condition returned literally overnight as I slept. It's a raging cellulitis caused by a staph infection in the blood, potentially a life threatening infection. It was my 4th episode and as serious as my first which required admission , IV antibiotics and acute pain management. I went to the ER fully prepared for admission. The staff infectious disease dr, prescribed a course of antibiotics and sent me home, much to my surprise and reflief. Ten days later, the script now exhausted, the condition returned with a vengeance accompanied by large open sores and a secondary body wide rash of a different sort. I returned to the same hospital's ER and was promptly admitted. The condition causes excutiating pain and swelling and a feeling of having the flu. It's horrible to look at. A sheet making contact causes whimpering pain. Two days after admission the original infectious disease Dr zoomed thru for a 4 minute visit casually observing the IV and secondary rash. As the week went by I was treated for my asthma daily, the IV continued, a biopsy of the secondary rash was taken and my horribly painful foot be can to loose the brilliant red of infection, reduce in size and massive scabs formed. Two days ago the original Dr again breezes in and with a glance tells me I'll be going home. I certainly am not a fan of being a patient but I was in horrid discomfort with IV DILAUDID increased to once every 3 hours. He brushed off my query on the biopsy giving the impression he had not read the chart to date. I politely pointed out I was unable to get from the bed, even for nature breaks, could not walk and just the gravity of hanging the foot over the side of the bed while urinating in the jug left me in over the top throbbing pain for almost 30 minutes. He discussed other procedures to allow discharge that appeared spontaneously thought up and inconsistent with statements by other treating clinicians. Yesterday, I was suddenly informed I was being discharged and to summon a ride. In an instant I was removed from IV anti biotic
( vancomiacin) and 3 hour doses of Dilaudid and sent packing with scripts for an oral antibiotic and 5 mg Percocet for pain. I missed a call today from my primary's office seeking to follow up with an appointment in the afternoon. I am bedridden in excruciating pain and could not get to the one landline. I live alone. The secondary rash which looks and itches like measles. Is back worse than before. My foot still looks infected, is red and swollen and the huge areas of stabbing are causing unrelenting pain which laughs at the percocets. Of course I'll follow up with my primary tomorrow. Is it possible the hospital shoved me out the door because of the 800 buck debt? It never was discussed during admissions, care or at discharge. I was called for my lunch choice as my ride arrived. I'm still sick
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regardI am sorry to hear of your condition and hope you improve soon.You ask is it possible you were discharged because you owe money? I suggest, it could be possible. Of course, there is no way to know for certain. However, the hospital has a duty to deliver a standard of care. And if you feel that you were wrongly discharged and that your condition is worsening because of it, you could have a medical malpractice case.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
In that regard, you may want to discuss this with your primary care physician on follow up and if you feel there was a neglect in the standard of care received, you should consider a consultation with a local attorney who can fully evaluate all your medical records to determine if there is a basis for such a lawsuit.