Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I have an outstanding balance with Nextel $176 that is in collections.

Customer Question

I have an outstanding balance with Nextel $176 that is in collections. I live in the sate of NY. I would like to resolve this matter but am unable to locate the collection agency. This dept dates back to somewhere around 2007. Please advise how I may find the appropriate agency so that I can handle, thanks!
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
The statute of limitations on a contracts claim is only 6 years. If the debt is from 2007, it's expired. It's impossible for anyone to collect it, and it was most likely written off years ago. There wouldn't be anyone for you to pay at this point. If it's still showing up as a negative on your credit report, you could ask the credit reporting bureau to remove it.
Your credit report should show if the debt was transferred to anyone else. It'll also confirm the name of the last company that had it - I can't find any record of a company named Allie Recovery Agency, but there are many with similar names. But if the collections agency went out of business, and the debt has long since expired, there may not be anything you need to do other than have it removed from your report.
If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply without rating so I may address them. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively to redirect a portion of the payment you have already made so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perhaps it was sometime more recently 2010, the dept showed on my credit report back in Feb but I hadn't checked since. Are you finding any agencies handling Nextel accounts from NY? Perhaps I'm confused with the name.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Check your credit report. If it was before 2009, there's nothing that can be done. But that will also give you a way to find out who has the debt. There unfortunately isn't any database I can check to find out who may or may not have Nextel accounts, because debt collectors just sell debts over and over and over.
You can get free, current copies of your credit report at
www.annualcreditreport.com or
www.creditkarma.com.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm finding on my Experian report an Allied Interstate LLC agency for this dept, and the dept is from 8/1/2011, however, there is no contact info for me to use and i've been unable to last locate any. Please advise next steps, thanks!
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
If the debt's from 2011, then it hasn't expired yet.
Allied Interstate, LLC is registered in New York as a foreign corporation from Minnesota. The Minnesota Secretary of State, interestingly enough, shows a mailing address of: *****27th Flr %IQOR
New York, NY 10017
USA
Here is the Minnesota listing, which has some other addresses.
https://mblsportal.sos.state.mn.us/Business/SearchDetails?filingGuid=f530a0c6-bad4-e011-a886-001ec94ffe7f
I also found this website, but they don't give any indication as to their whereabouts, so I can't be 100% positive it's the same company. A letter may be a better way of asking them to confirm that they lawfully purchased the debt.
https://www.allied-interstate.com/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Allied intestate informed me that I have to contact sprint/nextel in order to find out status and sprint note has me going to one of its stores to do further research. Won't be able to do that until next week, after that search will be able to give final rating!
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for letting me know.
The site sends automatic reminders until a positive rating is left. I'm sorry, but I don't have any way of turning them off. But they're not from me directly.