Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

There I recently got divorced and I requested in my

Customer Question

Hi there
I recently got divorced and I requested in my divorce decree that I be given the rights to get my maiden name back. During the final proceedings the judge also enforced and honored my request. So I read that its pretty much taken care of. But do I still need to change it with the SS# *****? Thanks Allie
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.

You need to take the order authorizing you to return to your maiden name to the SS Office to have them file a name change form (http://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5fs.pdf ). Also, you need to bring the court order to DMV if you have not done so already to change your name with them as well.