Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Should a judge perside over a case when the judge is a Facebook

Customer Question

Should a judge perside over a case when the judge is a Facebook friend of one of the party's involved?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Being friends with someone on Facebook would not - - in and of itself - - would not be grounds to disqualify a judge from being able to hear the case. Instead, the standard is whether or not the relationship with this person would prevent the judge from being fair and impartial to both parties.
If a party believes the judge cannot be fair and impartial because of this relationship, then that party would need to file a motion for the judge to recuse himself, and bring the issue before the court. Then it would be up to the judge to address the issue and rule on whether or not he can be fair and impartial...........
If the judge does not recuse himself, the only option left would be to file an appeal and ask the appellate court to address the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I keep my X wife away from my family ( a very close cousin ) when she has a no harassment order against me. Can I put a no contact order on her to stay away from my relatives
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
You couldn't get a no contact order on behalf of your relatives to keep your ex-wife away.......BUT your relatives would be able to do that by filing for a no contact order against your ex-wife if they choose to do so.
Thus, it is possible for the relatives to get a no contact order, but they would have to do it themselves.