Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Can a nursing home in north Carolina force a person to wear

Customer Question

can a nursing home in north Carolina force a person to wear a gown and gloves to visit a family member they have a GI track infection and not in a private room when they were in the hospital with the same thing a gown and mask station was on the door but no one was forced to use it was told today I could not stay with my wife unless I gowned up when time to leave I had to remove them in the room open a common bathroom shared with joining rooms to deposit in a hazmat bin and then walk back through the room to leave
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes.
Yes, a nursing home may set safety rules for the entire facility. The facility may actually insist for any visitor to use safety protocols and to wear gown and mask, there is no law in NC that states they cannot do so and because there is no law saying that they can or cannot do so, each facility may make their own rules on this matter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's no the whole home just my wife's room
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not the whole home just my wife's room and she has been in the room for a week and just yesterday I was ordered to gown up or they would have me removed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they only make the staff do it if the are changing her bedding
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, there is no law governing this issue, so legally they are within their rights to request you to do so. If there is no law on the issue, each facility gets to set its own rules and you would need to discuss this matter first with your wife's doctor to find out the reason for their request and then with the facility medical director or administrator if your wife's doctor says it is not necessary, as that is your only recourse I am afraid.