Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have a credit report protectiion from Equifax. I am paying

Customer Question

I have a credit report protectiion from Equifax. I am paying for the service every month. I have locked my credit, but to my surprise,It seems that sometimes my credit as been unlocked because I was still getting letters that some credits have checked my score. I have never been warned about this. I called to address this problem a couple of times. When I checked my credit online, for the most part my credit was correct. Now, I have aplied for an FHA loan, and when I checked the docs online, I see that on the credit report, the report from the 3 agencies looked correct, but there is a note that says that XPN showed a dispute on my SSN and another number appeared. It also shows that my date of issuance for the SSN was one year before. I have made the proper reports about this to the FBI, since I was totally unaware, I have also called the SSN 1800 number, and I was told that there is nothing under the SSN that the report is showing, and that the date of issuance of my real number hasn't been compromised. It is the correct. I have also gone personally to the SSN office in town, and checked all the info, and we went over my employers, and it seems that no one has used my real SSN. I have checked The Equifax report on my proteccion service, which shows the 3 bureaux, and they seem to be the same, as far as credit report. I will call the other bureux to check. Is there anything else you would recommend in this case?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Have you notified all of the credit bureaus of this or did you just call them to find out why it is showing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called Equifax to check why the bank had a different info, I haven't gotten in touch with the other bureaus but I will call them. Equifax has an option for dispute but they did not have the wrong info. They have an option to dispute info, and when I went to the personal information, they had the correct information. I also spoke with them by phone to notify them of the problem, and checked if they had anything that I couldn't see on the computer. They confirmed that everything was correct.
Thank you for your reply.
The only other thing you can do is send a written explanation to each of the credit bureaus of what is going on with your situation as you reported it to the FBI. However, if there is nothing wrong all they can do is note your claims on the credit report. There is not much more you can do with the credit bureaus.
You can also send the dispute to FHA since you say that is where this appeared in writing with a copy of the correct information from Experian and explain that FHA perhaps has incorrect information and ask them to correct their information. If they deny you for incorrect information, you can file an appeal with FHA.