Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

If I hire a contractor to replace a bad part (part X) on an

Customer Question

If I hire a contractor to replace a bad part (part X) on an XYZ machine and there is a transition piece, like a coupler between X & Z (part Y) is the contractor responsible for including part 'Y' in his proposal since 'Z' will not operate at all without the correct part 'Y' ?? In this instance the contractor did not know he was going to need a new part 'Y' because the old part 'Y' was not the same, or maybe obsolete. I hire him because he said don't worry I have it all covered, but now he wants more money for the new part 'Y'. By the way part 'Z' is a million dollar press of some sort and part 'X' is the drive or motor.
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. My name is Maverick. I very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from the information or assistance that I provide.
Who made the decision that part X needed to be replaced?
What do the terms of your contract say? Did you just hire him to replace part X or to diagnose the problem and give you a full quote?