Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have a big problem which has been created by the Nigerian

Customer Question

I have a big problem which has been created by the Nigerian Gov't. Let's start from the beginning. I have been in Lagos,Nigeria for 3 and a half years. I am not a Citizen there, just a visitor. Will not apply for citizenship there, as I want to go to U S. I obtained my Visa in February 2015. Already have passport. The problem is: When I obtained Visa, The Gov;t. told me that I had to pay a $1500 Immigration fee, plus a $750.00 Non-resident tax. And, for each month after February, there would be another $150.00 per month added onto the $750.00 fee. My question is: Is this for real? If so, then this is an outright form of extortion
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In Nigeria, non-resident tax is based on income earned in Nigeria (see: http://www.firs.gov.ng/Resource-Centre/FIRS%20Publications/TAXATION-OF-NON-RESIDENTS-IN-NIGERIA-9302.pdf).
Also, here is a list of the visa fees for Nigeria as well depending on country: http://www.immigration.gov.ng/index.php?id=57
I do not know what government official is giving you the amounts due, but these are the documents discussing the non-resident taxation and visa immigration fees and you are entitled to ask them how they are calculating the fees they are trying to charge you (but both of these fees, if you are saying they are asking that in US Dollars are not correct and this sounds like you are being scammed by someone, as these types of fees are the amounts we see in romance scams as what people tell us they are being told it will cost someone to leave Nigeria).